History

Historische Badekarren©Seebadmuseum©SeebadmuseumBadenixen in Travemünde©Archiv LTM

“Lübeck's most beautiful daughter” is Travemünde's affectionate nickname – yet the “Lütte” was an indispensable support to its “mother” from the start: the Queen of the Hanseatic League would not have been able to take the throne without her little one.

1187

Count Adolf III of Holstein founded Travemünde, which previously had only consisted of a castle. The castle stood on the hill known as the Stülper Huk. 

1204

Travemünde's first port was constructed

1235

The first church was built.

1464

The Trave was prevented from sanding-up by the construction of a breakwater.

1539

Dutch masons erected a 39-m-high lighthouse.

1557

Building work was completed on the nave and chancel of the St. Lorenz church.

1629

A devastating plague raged.

1802

Travemünde became a seaside resort, of which Germany only had two before this: Heiligendamm and Norderney. 

1824

The first steamers operated on the Trave.

1825

The casino opened. 

1829

The lighthouse was extended to its present height.

1879

Work began on the public swimming facility. 

1882

The Lübeck-Travemünde railway line was completed. 

1891

The first sailing regattas were hold. 

1898–1899 

The Strandpromenade was created

1949

Tourism began to pick up again. The casino reopening was celebrated at the same time. 

1953

The passanger ferry connection was established to the Scandinavian countries.

1957

The Interior Minister of Schleswig-Holstein named Travemünde a "sea spa" (Seeheilbad).

2002 

Travemünde celebrated 200 years as a seaside resort

2009

120th Travemünder Woche

2011 

100th birthday of the Passat

2017

Travemünde's 830th anniversary.